Global Medical Device Nomenclature: Basic concept and Five-Year strategy
Many people are involved in the medical device industry and their motto is to ensure the safety of medical devices, while having very varied roles and levels of process knowledge. For the first time, Global Medical Devices Nomenclature (GMDN) enables an international system to identify all medical devices generically. The GMDN now enables, for the first time, an international system for generically identifying all medical devices in a helpful way to all users. Many nomenclature systems were in existence before the GMDN, all of which were based on various structures and had been used locally or nationally for unique objectives using different techniques. In this article we are explaining the basic concept of GMDN, importance of naming, the need of GMDN, global acceptance. GMDN term structure involves finding codes and searching for GMDN terms. In addition, there will be an explanation of the Unique Device Identification (UDI) and UDI requirements carrier & hardware relationship between UDI and GMDN. Finally, the five-year strategy (2022-2026) focuses and sets out an ambitious vision for growth and increased global harmonization. The strategies set out in specific programs of work that will drive development in the coming years are also mentioned.
2. Gs1.org. Global Medical Device Nomenclature (GMDN) [Internet]. [cited 2022 Sep 18]. Available from:
3. The history of GMDN - GMDN agency [Internet]. Gmdnagency.org; 2022 [cited 2022 Sep 18]. Available from:
4. Obelis Marketing. The importance of GMDN codes [Internet]. Obelis — Your Consultant on European Regulation. 2018 [cited 2022 Sep 18]. Available from:
5. Anand K, Saini S, Singh B, Veermaram C. Global medical device nomenclature: the concept for reducing device-related medical errors. J Young Pharm [Internet]. 2010 [cited 2022 Sep 18];2(4):403–9. Available from:
6. Wikipedia contributors. Global Medical Device Nomenclature [Internet]. Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. 2022 [cited 2022 Sep 18]. Available from:
7. Benefits of a UDI system [Internet]. U.S. FDA; 2018 Sep 27 [cited 2022 Sep 18]. Available from:
8. Unique device identification for medical devices [Internet]. Ptc.com; 2022 Apr 14 [cited 2022 Sep 18]. Available from:
9. Post-market surveillance: UDI compliance for class I devices moves forward with new deadline [Internet]. Sparta Systems; 2022 [cited 2022 Sep 18]. Available from:
10. GMDN Agency announces launch of new five-year strategy [Internet]. Medical Plastics News; 2022 [cited 2022 Sep 18]. Available from:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
The International Journal of Drug Regulatory affairs require a formal written transfer of copyright from the author(s) for each article published. We therefore ask you to complete and return this form, retaining a copy for your records. Your cooperation is essential and appreciated. Any delay will result in a delay in publication.
I/we have read and agree with the terms and conditions stated Page 2 of this agreement and I/we hereby confirm the transfer of all copyrights in and relating to the above-named manuscript, in all forms and media, now or hereafter known, to the International Journal of Drug Regulatory affairs, effective from the date stated below. I/we acknowledge that the IJDRA is relying on this agreement in publishing the above-named manuscript. However, this agreement will be null and void if the manuscript is not published in the IJDRA.
Download link for COPYRIGHT FORM