Research on Quality Control Strategy of CAR-T Cell Therapy Products based on QbD
Objective: This paper aims to provide reference for how to use the concept and method of QbD to control the quality of CAR-T cell therapy products in the commercial production of CAR-T cell therapy products in China, and how to formulate reasonable and effective quality control strategies.
Methods: This paper systematically analyzes the industrial development of CAR-T cell therapy products and the concept, application methods and implementation process of QbD in China through literature research and case analysis theory
Results: Cell therapy products are a hot area in the research and development of new drugs, but at present, there are no specific regulatory rules in the commercial production of CAR-T cell therapy products in China, the awareness of risk control is weak, and the quality control is unstable, making patients face many risks.
Conclusion: Based on the concept of QbD, the quality control strategy of CAR-T cell therapy products was proposed from three dimensions.
2. Shufang Meng, Yan Huo, Tiantian Hou, et al. The key points of quality control research and non clinical research of CAR-T cell therapy products. Chinese Pharmaceutical Affairs. 2018;32(06):831-852.
3. Guiding Principles for Research and Evaluation Technology of Cell Therapy Products (Trial) [Internet]. China: NMPA; 2017 Dec 22 [cited 2022 Nov 18]. Available from:
4. Yuwei Diao, Yi Liang. Management of Cell Therapy Products in Japan and Its Implications for China. Progress in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2019;43(12):908-913.
5. Jianxin Tan, Lingli Yu, Chong Wang. An introduction to chimeric antigen receptor T cell therapy products and their current status of GMP implementation. Shanghai Medical & Pharmaceutical Journal. 2020;41(15):64-70.
6. ICH Q8: Pharmaceutical development [Internet]. China: Center for Drug Evaluation, NMPA; 2009 Aug [cited 2022 Nov 18]. Available from:
7. Summary Basis for Regulatory Action - KYMRIAH [Internet]. US: FDA; 2017 Aug [cited 2022 Nov 18]. Available from:
8. Zhong X, Liang Y. Five Critical Elements for Implementing Quality by Design. Mechanical and Electrical Information. 2011;(23):14-17+45.
9. Zhang S, He X. Industrialization progress of cellular immunotherapy and related risk factors. Biotechnology & Business. 2017;(05):21-26.
10. Chen G. Design of process layout and plant facilities for the production of cell therapy products. Shanghai Medical & Pharmaceutical Journal. 2019; 40(09):71-73.
11. Wang L. CAR-T and immunocellular tumor therapy. Chinese Journal of Cell Biology. 2019; 41(04):540-548.
12. Chen F. GPM Workshop Design of Cell Therapy Products (CAR-T). Scientific and technological wind. 2020; (17):8+16.
13. Yonghong Li, Yan Huo, Lei Yu, et al. Quality Control and Nonclinical Research on CAR-T Cell Products: General Principles and Key Issues. Engineering. 2019;5(01):263-283.
14. Bravery CA, Carmen J, Fong T, et al. Potency assay development for cellular therapy products: an ISCT review of the requirements and experiences in the industry. Cytotherapy. 2013;15(1):9-19.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
The International Journal of Drug Regulatory affairs require a formal written transfer of copyright from the author(s) for each article published. We therefore ask you to complete and return this form, retaining a copy for your records. Your cooperation is essential and appreciated. Any delay will result in a delay in publication.
I/we have read and agree with the terms and conditions stated Page 2 of this agreement and I/we hereby confirm the transfer of all copyrights in and relating to the above-named manuscript, in all forms and media, now or hereafter known, to the International Journal of Drug Regulatory affairs, effective from the date stated below. I/we acknowledge that the IJDRA is relying on this agreement in publishing the above-named manuscript. However, this agreement will be null and void if the manuscript is not published in the IJDRA.
Download link for COPYRIGHT FORM